Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Season's Change

It's September.


I'm not very happy about that. Generally, I welcome the change of seasons, the start of a new academic year, the coming of harvest time. But last year's battle with seasonal depression was so ugly, so rough that I find myself mired in anxiety about the upcoming fall/winter time. I am "should-ing" all over myself. I should have gotten my blood work done, gotten a doctor, started researching meds, worked on moving the toxins out of my diet, etc etc etc. Boy, is that a dark road to the self-fulfilling prophecy of insecurity and depression! Whee!

I do want to be proactive and there is still time. So, without further ado, here's a list of things I'd like to work on to insulate myself and give a med-free winter one more shot:


1. Increase spiritual practice
I want to do ritual or yoga or meditation on a daily basis, more if needed. I am sifting through and trying out different guided meditation podcasts. I would like to incorporate a morning ritual or prayer from my Pagan Home Management binder. I used to do this, with a short yoga flow routine and I really enjoyed it. I bet I can get at least Charlotte on board.

2. Vitamins
I want to incorporate a daily multivitamin and EmergenC. Rob does this in the morning, before he even has coffee. I can do it too, surely.

3. Vitamin D
This may be my big deficiency each winter. I do try and get my face out there in the sun, but it's hard. So, a vitamin D supplement and a light box or maybe even tanning. I still need to do research on these things.

4. Move!
Yoga, walking, bellydancing, whatever. But it needs to be regular and often.

5. Keep the emotional toxin intake low
There were some relationships dragging me down last winter. I'm generally pretty cutthroat about keeping negative people outside my circle, but it's harder when I'm weakened by depression or anxiety. I need to keep on top of this as proactively as possible.

6. Keep the nutritional toxin intake low
I'd like to learn how to cook Japanese food. This sounds like a great way to replace some of the wheat and dairy in my current food intake.

7. Weekly splurge
Spa night, a manicure, a date, fancy martini night, out to dinner with my mama. Whatever. I want to make sure to have something special and decadent to look forward to every single week.

8. Sex
And a lot of it.

9. Art
Yarn arts, paper arts, crafting, writing, whatever. But staying connected to my creative side is pretty important. There is also, I hear, some sort of endorphin released when doing something repetitive like knitting.

Anyone else with grand ideas?

0 comments:

 

Latest Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger
Powered By Blogger

Easy Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger

Great Morning ©  Copyright by Joy~Bliss~Love~Magick | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks