Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Personal is Political

I wonder if that is an attributable quote.  I'll have to google.

I've been thinking about politics and my personal spin.

I am very much leaning voting Green in this presidential election.  I have never NOT voted for the democratic presidential nominee.  I'm a little shocked that I would chose this election to seriously consider it.

My politics have become more radical as I've matured.  I've become less interested in compromising some things to get a democrat elected.  And I wonder why.  In a lot of ways, I think it's actually that the Democratic Party has become less liberal.  *They* have moved to the right, to the middle and left *me* out here on the left.   And in many other ways, it's that my radical ideals have solidified a bit.  I feel more entitled to my world view, and to express what I think it my due and is every person's right.

I'm debating all this and reading other points of view.  I was told recently, in an online discussion, that my 3rd party vote would be a vote thrown away and a vote for McCain.  I disagree.  Now, here in NY, I feel confident that my vote for McKinney will not have much affect on the way the NY delegates go.  I am having trouble finding actually poling data, but I can't imagine it even being close here.  And, as I understand it, all the NY delegates vote together---so if Obama wins NY, he wins all of the NY delegates.  The kids and I will be studying the electoral college in a couple of weeks, so I can fact check that soon.  ;)

I'll be watching the debates and seeing if Obama can wow me.  Part of me hopes that under all that pandering to the middle, lies the heart of a true radical liberal and some of that will work its way out when he gets into the white house.  And the other part of me worries that the party and the powers that be have him so convinced he has to toe the line that an Obama presidency would not look much different from a McCain one.  :(

1 comments:

Forte said...

I hear where you are coming from. You are most likely correct that the one vote will not have an effect. I am not convinced it will make a huge statement either;) Does Mc Kinney have a phone bank? Heee.
Anyhow. I think that after the big election, Obama's going to do what he's going to do. The Dem's don't want to tank themselves. Supporter of Hillary, though I am, I think she was way more likely to hold the centrist scenario you are talking about that this guy!:)
I think that it is a privilege and a right to vote, and we should all do so in your well-informed way.
Forte

 

Latest Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger
Powered By Blogger

Easy Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger

Great Morning ©  Copyright by Joy~Bliss~Love~Magick | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks